- The Facebook owned WhatsApp is one of the most using social media application worldwide.
- WhatsApp has 450+ million daily active users.
- 1+ million people register on WhatsApp daily.
- WhatsApp is banned in 12 countries.
- There are 3 million companies using WhatsApp Business.
- More than 2 billion minutes of voice and video calls are made on WhatsApp daily.
- 84% of SMBs think that WhatsApp helps them communicate with customers.
Limiting WhstaApp Status Duration
Usually WhatsApp allows users to set video status with the duration of 30 seconds. But it's going to be reduced in INDIA to 15 seconds. This update is going to be implemented in the next few days (already implemented for some users) due to COVID-19 lockdown. However, there is no restriction in uploading number of videos. The changes are implemented for most of the users in INDIA and the same will be rolled-out to rest of the users very soon.
This is going to be a temporary change. The changes will be restored once the COVID-19 issue get resolved and under control. There are 400 million WhatsApp users in INDIA. The main motto is to reduce the duration is that the users spends more time on social media for voice/video calling, chatting especially on WhatsApp. This is leads to high traffic on internet servers. So, implementing such limitations will help in reducing heavy web traffic and storage. WhatsApp has recently announced that it has increased its server capacities.
Other platforms such as Netflix and YouTube too have taken measures to reduce the load on Internet servers during the lockdown period.